Song After Song After Song

Music roams off,
comes back again.

Music roams off,
comes back again.

She whispered that she can't talk now but she wanted to talk to me some more. She's with this guy who thinks he's all that, but he's not, and she's got to make a life change, but not tonight. Gives me her phone number, and tells me to never call her past 5 o'clock.

Music roams off,
etc.

Another verse, monotony and hypnosis.

I think she thinks I'm one of a kind because of what I said about green deer and dolphins and how all politics is enchantment, and really everything else, and she has a face for European museum walls and a body for jungle wear.

Music, etceteras to the bridge, which is the surprise, which alone is enough to feel chains loosening from around our shoulders on Houdini nights.

And the bridge goes something like this: I waited days, then called her at 9 o'clock, and she said she told me not to call before 5 o'clock, and I said I don't give a shit, to be honest, and she said she can't talk right now, and I asked if she was married, and she said no, but she thinks she's about to get engaged any day now, you son of a bitch, I told you not to call now, and she hung up.

Blah, blah, blah, etc. etc.

No, that's not right. We need known melodies and beats as a safe place to live.

I called right back and said I'm only going to do this one time. Write down my number. Next phone call is up to you. 555-5309.

I knew she'd call me. You knew.

Music roams off,
comes back again.

Music roams off,
comes back again.

It turns out I was the guy who made her realize she needed to marry that guy because I wasn't really going anywhere. And I got back the ocean and the moon and the stars, and movie images of mustangs and Indians, and cars I wanted to own one day, and speeches I'd make, and shock waves I'd send. It's like I waved goodbye to a beautiful woman, happy, on the back of a ferry heading to Sing Sing. Lovely kisses, and cold toast goodbyes!

I'm OK in such an unregulated world
because of dreams, and plans, and a glass of wine or two.

I'm OK in such an unregulated world
because of dreams, and plans, and a glass of wine or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment